Friday, October 10, 2008

Reflections on the Research Project Experience

I guess that it has been a really tough week for everyone, having to juggle with reports, tests and tutorials on top of our normal heavy workload. It is difficult to prioritize these tasks.

For the ES2007S module, my project group members and I had to come out with the whole report in less than a month. In fact, excluding the time we disseminated the survey, we only had 2 weeks to rush through the introduction, findings and interpretations, conclusion and recommendations. It is really amazing that we could actually complete everything in time despite many other commitments.

I must say that we had a positive learning experience in this project because my group members were very cooperative and helpful. Whenever we encountered any problems during the project, we would help one another out and make it a point to edit one another’s drafts. It is different from individual work in which one has to complete everything on one’s own, though at one’s pace and timing.

In this short period of a month, I have picked up the skills of doing research, learnt how to brainstorm for ideas, create surveys and write letters and reports. An important learning experience I have gleaned is to communicate effectively with others about my own ideas through meetings and discussions. In fact, we managed to inject some humour in the midst of serious work and we learnt interesting things about one another. For example, Xiu Wen and I did not know that Sammy speaks mandarin because he was from Myanmar. Thus, we communicated in English until one day, during our discussion, we found out that his Mandarin is actually much better than ours! Thus, bonding in a group is very significant as it can create a better working environment for group members to produce a good piece of work. Personally, I feel a greater sense of achievement from work done in a group than that completed individually because I get to experience working with different people.

However, I feel that we could have improved on our time management whenever we meet up. Perhaps we could have been better prepared to input ideas to improve on the report instead of having to spend time thinking when we got together. Hence, we should improve on this area for our upcoming oral presentation.

6 comments:

Brad Blackstone said...

Dear Eileen,

Thanks for the reflection. I'm glad that your teammates were so helpful and cooperative, and that your work was manageable as a result. You also mention the need to improve your time management. Well, we have a few more tasks in this module during the term, so you can see if you can approach those more efficiently. I appreciate all your efforts!

Xiuwen said...

Dear Eileen,

It was indeed an enjoyable experience to have worked with you in this report. Amazingly, being classmates for so long, this is the first time we have worked together and I can say that it was a pleasant experience. =)

Thanks for being the patient one and editing our report here and there. You have done an absolutely wonderful job! =)

Hui Xuan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sammy said...

Thanks for the hard work again Eileen. Just like Xiuwen said you were the patient one. It was a great experience working together with you.
I agree with you about the need for improvement on effectiveness of the meeting. I also felt that we spend more time in coming out with ideas.
Ya, let us strike through the oral presentation together.

Eileen said...

Hi all,

Thanks for all your comments! Now that we have done some reflections, it's time to move on with the next stage with all the important things(good or bad) to keep in mind.

You all rock! Jia you!

Tiffany said...

Dear Eileen,

You know, honestly, I did not know that Sammy spoke Mandarin until yesterday's lesson when Brad announced it to the class.

Like you, I was shocked but as you know, I was standing right in front of the class so I tried my best to hide the astonishment. Didn't wanna be noted as one of the 'slower' ones to realise this. haha!

Hope your project goes well and look forward to working with you for the mock job interview!